Friday, May 23, 2014

Reflections after returning from a mission trip in El Salvador, to a small canton called Chilitiupan.

Welcome Sign entering the Village
While in Chilitiupan, I did service by putting together Basic Necessities Care Packages for Santa Rosa Stitches and delivering them to families in need. I also tried immersing myself with the culture by participating in social activities and interacting with the people. I could not help noticing how friendly the people were. As you passed someone on the street there was always a greeting of Buenos Dias, sometimes this was followed by more conversation that included smiles, hugs and blessings.





Assembling the Care Packages
Another contrast to American life is the cost of everyday items. On our first day, we feed nine people lunch for under $7.00. I bought a pair of sewing scissors for $1.60. The average El Salvadoran makes less than $5.00 a day. If your job is picking coffee beans you might only make .40 cents a day for a hard day of labor. I really reflected on this when I came home and paid $4.50 for a cup of coffee at Starbucks. I made a conscious decision at that time to only buy fair trade coffee and to try to think beyond my own needs.




El Salvadoran Woman in Chiltiupan
I am very grateful for my life and all of the privileges that I have as an American citizen. I am also humbled by the people of Chilitiupan.
















Guest Post by Janet Fournier

No comments:

Post a Comment